Editor’s Note: Babble is a part of The Walt Disney Company.
The holidays are all about giving joy to others. And as a mom of two, it’s important for me to teach my kids about creating gifts for others — for the sole purpose of making them happy.
Today, I’m sharing a fun DIY for Gift-Filled Animal Ornaments that you can make with your little ones to give to someone special in your lives. They can enjoy the cute ornaments all season long, and then get an extra special surprise: little personalized gifts inside!
This DIY makes the perfect gift for all those people in our lives who work so hard throughout the year — like the mailperson, teacher, crossing guard, bus driver, or librarian.
When creating these ornaments for people in your community, have your child help think about the recipient and what they might like. They can help you pick small gifts to suit each person. For instance, a librarian or teacher might like a small pin, nail polish, stickers, or desk accessory. The most important thing to remember is that it’s the thought that counts. And your gift is sure to be well received by those who can’t be thanked enough.
Follow the simple tutorial to create some gifts of your own!
Gift-Filled Animal Ornaments
- Small gifts
- Hot glue gun and glue
- Pipe cleaners
- Begin by cutting the streamers in half, length-wise, which will make them easier to wrap.
- Tie a long loop of cord around the first toy that you’ll wrap (the largest) — making sure it sticks out from each layer of streamer as you’re wrapping the toys. (This will also be the cord to hang your ornament from.)
- Wrap each gift, with the first in the center. Continue adding gifts and wrapping until you have made a ball shape.
- Secure the end of the last piece of streamer with a dab of glue. (Make sure to keep the cord loop exposed.)
- Now it’s time to create your animals! You can make any animal (or anything!) you want — I made a cat, pig, and bunny. To make the facial features, cut pipe cleaners (for ears and whiskers) and felt (for eyes and noses).
- Use hot glue to attach the ears, and then wrap another layer of streamer around the base of the ears to help secure them.
- Glue on other facial features and add as you go. Then gift!
Disney is sharing the joy this holiday season by giving back to deserving kids and families. Click here to find out ways you can volunteer with your family — to help make your community healthier, happier, and stronger.
Article Posted 3 hours Ago